California rapper and self-described “rap game Mark Twain” Monk Mandino presents his new single “If You Like It I Love It”. Produced by DamCold, the single is the duo’s introduction to a sub-genre they dub ‘Hawaii Bass’, which Monk calls “what you’d get if you mixed 2 Live Crew, Too Short and early Eminem”. McNasty made his name as a battler on the GrindTime circuit (watch Monk McNizzle battle Dizaster) before releasing last year’s Full Metal Rapshetmixtape (stream on Youtube). In 2014 he released the “Eat Like A Player” videos which documented his one-week tour of impromptu performances in fast-food restaurants and supermarkets across California, and more recently “Security Guard Barz”, where he documents himself rapping through his late-night work shifts (watch both series on his Youtube page). His last album was 2014’s Monk McNizzle (listen). Monk Mandino is finalizing two EPs: You’re Gonna Write Us All Out Of Poverty Monk Mandino, and the Hawaii Bass EP, dropping mid-July. Both releases will drop on Oakland-based Drum Dealer Music. Monk’s last single release was “F.L.I.M nroP” (listen on Soundcloud).
- [Video] M-Dot x DJ Nelson – Tedium | @MDotBoston
- [Video] Dillon & Batsauce – Nothin I Can Do | @DillonMaurer @Batsauce
- [Audio] Modern Language – Molecules | @modern_language
- [Video] VVS Verbal feat General Steele – Grind | @VvsVerbal @GeneralSteele
- [Interview] Artist Spotlight – Woo Child | @therealwoo