In this episode of PoPolitickin, we politick with Lyric Michelle. Chicago bred and Houston raised, the music of Lyric Michelle pays homage to both; fusing southern charm, a touch of poetry and a blast of ferocious lyricism to deliver a sound that is uniquely her own. Initially getting her start in poetry, in time it would be music that would steal her heart, as she smoothly transitioned from penning prose to spitting bars. For Lyric the transition was not only smooth, it was natural. Or as she describes it, “Hip Hop is poetry. Think of Eminem, Lupe, Lauryn. Real hip hop and poetry are different sides of the same coin.” A woman on a mission, for Lyric it’s not just about the music; it’s about opening doors for a new crop of female emcees intent on proving that when it comes to lyrical skill they can go toe to toe with any of their male peers in the game. And indeed she can, as proven after being selected as a Pop Montreal Festival Artist and repeated appearances as an official SXSW and A3C artist. In short, “Her appeal lies in the manner in which she intertwines beauty and sheer talent, a feat that has garnered her comparisons to one of her own musical icons, Lauryn Hill.” Like they say, what’s a song without a Lyric.
- Dee Dee The Great (@DeeDeeTheGreat) talks Head Champ, sex coaching, and more on @popolitickin
- Toon Westside (@_ColdSummer) talks rap beginnings, new projects, and more on @popolitickin
- West Oakland Artist Beejus Releases The Official Music Video For “Player Way” @Beejus
- Sour Deez – P.I.C. (Produced by Buckmouth Beatz) |@SoxrD33z @BuckMouthBeatz
- Shallow Al – Shallow Aloween (Album) |@AlOneTheRemedy @DJWicked @Sandpeople